Wrigley Field and The Wave - A Brief History

Two historic events occured in 1984; one of great and lasting importance: The '84 Cubs, and the other was just a dang foolish fad: The Wave.
Apparently there are enough whipper-snappers out there too young to remember, so allow me to review.
In '84, your Chicago Cubs were one game from winning the pennant again. Something that had not happened since '45. Only two things stood in their way: Steve Garvey and The Wave. After winning games 1 and 2 in the Friendly Confines, our team headed to San Diego. What followed was an epic and tragic series of events. The Padres took the next three games to steal our pennant.
The lasting memory for every Cub fan around to witness these events will forever be the images of foolish Padre fans doing The Wave over and over and over and over again. So please, youngsters: keep The Wave out of Wrigley Field.

5 comments:

  1. This it Tutty out in Freeport and I seen every home Sunday game in 1984, usually from the left field bleachers but sometimes the right field. I don't remember the wave but I remember the "First Cubs Concert" when "Old Syle Beer, Sony and WGN Radio presented Chuck Berry and Sha Na Na in concert following the Chicago Cubs-San Fancisco Giants game" on Sunday, July 22, 1984.

    Anybody else remember this concert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was there and I remember looking over the wall and seeing people break dancing on cardboard on the streets below. I also remember Chuck Berry and Sha Na NA. I knew it was in 84 and the Cubs loosing against the Giants but could not remember the date. Thanks

      Delete
  2. Yes, I was trying to remember when this was. I believe Bob Collins was the MC at the event. They played from a makeshift stage at second base.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure would like to see the video footage of Sha Na Na's performance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at this concert. My uncle took me when I was 14. I have always remembered it as a double header... Could be wrong though. My only ball game at Wrigley Field, and one of the most memorable of all games I have been to.

    ReplyDelete